Thursday, November 27, 2008

Tree Trimming



This has always been my favorite time of year....Christmas and all the fun times that go along with the season....sending cards to loved ones....getting together with friends....and remembering the times past. This time of year always brings back such fond memories of my mom and dad. My dad passed away at an early age so he was not able to ever meet his grandchildren....but my mom sure spoiled them especially at Christmas...."because grandpa would have".....Every year she would start buying Christmas things for our children in the summer....she would have her shopping done by Thanksgiving and that is the day she spent wrapping everything and carefully making note of each gift to make things "even".....the packages would sit all neatly wrapped on my old bed....waiting for us to pick her up and bring her to our house for the holidays. Each year she would say "I am going to cut down"....but alas....never did! She brought such joy to everyone....I never really had to do much baking because she always brought TONS of home baked goodies...not only for us but our neighbors and her favorite store owners. While trimming our tree every year I just "remember" which each ornament I hang. She had started buying us Hallmark ornaments with the year...and the kids each got one too...which came in handy when they both got married.....they had enough ornaments to decorate their own trees. Now as I hang each ornament there is also one very special ornament that has a special place on the tree.....it is the "Mae Farrell Family" ornament....it was given to me after she passed away. I put it on the front of the tree so she too can enjoy the family that gathers in that room. She was a grand lady. She is the reason I still have her famous "Christmas customs" of the left over box and other things. The left over box became because she would buy too many stocking stuffers....therefore had to use a box.....
Have a wonderful holiday season everyone.....I know I will.

3 comments:

melissa said...

awwww mom, that was wonderful what you wrote about gram! i miss her! what great memories she left for us!

melissa said...

ps beautiful tree too! jamin says we may go try to find a good one on our land or if not, we may go to a tree farm this year, but eventually, we would like to plant some nice christmas trees on our land that we can use every year!

Zingo Tots said...

Jackie,
This was such a beautiful story and so well written. It actually brought tears to my eyes.
Wonderful that you have such awesome memories. I hope I can leave my children with the same joy.
Take care! And...thanks for your comment on Boy, Oh Boy!
Jill